Friday 20 May 2011

Rounding off greece starting turkey and some pictures


The Greek islands were nice. I will just give you a brief update because I am way behind in my blog. Naxos was cold and rainy but had a good vibe and our pension was good and cheap. Santorini was well Santorini and the weather warmed up a bit. Rhodes had a nice old town and we met up with my aunt and uncle for a day which was fun. Rhodes also had more cats than the rest of Greece which was very much to my fancy.

Turkey


We arrived in Marmaris, found a hotel and left the next morning for Selçuk (in Turkish ç is pronounced ch; s with the same accent under it, is pronounced sh). Selçuk is the town beside Ephesus, an ancient Roman city. I think by the time we leave Turkey I will be tired of ancient Roman cities, if I am not already now. Ephesus was nice and had a field of pretty wild flowers. It had two roman theatres . Along the highway to Ephesus there is a running path with play ground style exercise machines (like the ones they have in Kiderminster, England, only older). The path was lined with trees so it was always shady. There were two paths actually: one was a path of lose stones and the other of pavement. There was also a sidewalk on either side where the exercise machines were. I found it very considerate to have put this running path on the way to Ephesus (the locals spell it Efes “like the Turkish beer” they also spell it Efeses when trying to spell it for foreigners). The path didn't go all the way to Ephesus but it stopped just short of the turnoff, and it wasn't far from there. 

Pretty poppy in Rhodes

Silly cat at our pension in Marmaris

The gate of our Pension in Selcuk
Kitty at Ephesus

Me at Heiropolis

Still playing

This is a cat in Istanbul. Biggest Turkish cat yet.


Comments don't hurt you know? It would be kinda nice to know if people actually bother to read my blog.

62 comments:

  1. We read your blog Mhari. We just didn't write any comments because we didn't want to hurt you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Niiice -- that wasn't from me!

    I love the cat topiary! I laughed out loud when I saw that - I thought "they must have known Mhari was coming when they made that!"

    My comments are few and far between because I sometimes fall behind in blog reading (we've been a bit distracted by water issues here and when I'm online I'm often checking out the river level and trying to see if we're going to be evacuated anytime soon)...

    How are you enjoying the swimming? What's it like to swim in the Mediterranean? --Caley

    ReplyDelete
  3. great photo of you Mhari! And I can't believe that it's YOUR blog that has the latest post! LOL I loved Santorini when I was there...And the cats... I remember all the cats and dogs throughout Greece and Turkey... I guess they never heard Bob Barker's comments at the end of the Price is Right everyday... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments!
    Caley- swimming in the Med is really nice. We just got off a 4 day cruise on a small yacht so swimming has been our main activity.

    Matt- I have never watched the end of the Price is Right; and who is Bob Barker?

    Flatland family- Ha Ha

    mhari

    ReplyDelete
  5. people are reading, and anxious for an update please.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your cat

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your cats

    ReplyDelete
  8. The roses are really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The giant cat looks awesome

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool happy exciting

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cats are really cute. The pictures are really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. All those pics were so cool now you really convinced me to go there and all those cats were so darn cute my favorite was that cat laying on the ground thanks for informing about turkey. ~maddie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really liked your pictures!! Hope you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the cats and it looks fun

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like your pictures and I hope you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks very nice there.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks really fun! The cat looks like it’s having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the info
    ����

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks like you had a lot of fun

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks like you had a fun trip thx for telling us about turkey love the cat plant

    ReplyDelete
  22. The cats look cute

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks nice there

    ReplyDelete
  24. You have really cool pictures

    ReplyDelete
  25. You have great grammar.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for the info great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I like your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your pictures are really cool and the helpful info.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The roses are pretty

    ReplyDelete
  31. I like the cat carved into the bush

    ReplyDelete
  32. Cool, I like cats.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Nice information

    ReplyDelete
  34. The cat pictures were adorable!! The flowers were very pretty as well! I’m jealous you got to visit there and I hope I will be able the near (or later) future!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I like your pictures and your information

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks for giving us info

    ReplyDelete
  37. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  38. You had good and helpful info and great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  39. The pics are really good

    ReplyDelete
  40. I like the post but I got to go now so bye

    ReplyDelete
  41. I like all the pictures of the caat

    ReplyDelete
  42. Good job. It was really interesting reading about your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  43. That must have been really cool to see!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I like your pictures and you had good info

    ReplyDelete
  45. I like your blog! The blog is well written and provides good details. The photos you took were very nice and almost looked professional!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I like that you included pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I really liked the red flower picture, it was super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  48. I like the flower picture it looks cool.

    ReplyDelete